Monday, January 11, 2010

I hate to admit it

But I got myself a new desktop with Windows 7, and I actually like the OS.

I’d be the last one to give MS any credit, believe me. But they seem to have got it right this time. OK, I’ve only been using the computer for a couple of days, but that is ample time to experience at least several dozen OMFG moments where things break or corrupt or crash or otherwise do not do what you want them to do.

In fact, I haven’t had one complaint so far!

And the machine itself is just amazing. It’s a Dell XPS that I picked up at Best Buy. 8G RAM, that fancy new Intel i7 quadcore monster processor. This is the first computer I’ve ever had that truly wowed me.

I picked up the computer and a couple LG 23” monitors for $1800, which I consider a very good deal. My only complaint is that the LG monitors do not come with DVI cables!? So Best Buy did jack me for nearly $90 for two cables. But I wasn’t about to run around town looking for them. Aside from the overpriced cables and the unwillingness of the manager to cut me a break when spending nearly $2k, the Best Buy experience was positive.

The only bad news is that Quake Live is so ridiculously awesome on this machine that I’m going to waste a ton of time playing that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment